Order of Carmelites
Order of Carmelites
Province of the Most Pure Heart of Mary
Provincial Office
1317 Frontage Road
Darien, IL 60561
Phone: 630.971.0050
PCM in United States

The Province of the Most Pure Heart of Mary has its origins from the Carmelite House in Straubing in the Bavarian area of Germany. It was the only German house to survive the suppressions of the nineteenth century and is today the oldest house in continuous use in the Order. Two members of this community, Frs. Cyril Knoll and Xavier Huber, emigrated to the United States and in 1864 at the invitation of the sisters who emigrated from Straubing a few years previously. The Carmelites traveled to Louisville, Kentucky on May 22, 1864, to serve the general population of the Catholic town.

These houses, however, proved unable to sustain the men, so Fr. Knoll in 1866 moved East to the former Redemptorist convent in Cumberland, Md. Here there was need of English speakers; these were supplied by the Order's Vicar General, Angelo Savino from the Provinces of Ireland and The Netherlands. After the foundation of new houses, especially in Englewood, N.J., Paducah, KY, Louisville, KY, Niagara Falls, Ont., New Baltimore, Pa., and Pittsburgh, Pa., a commissariat was erected in 1881 under Fr. Anastasius Smits. This in turn became a Province in 1890 with Fr. Pius Mayer at its head.
Order of Carmelites





Order of Carmelites
|
|
|
|
At its centenary, the Province had spread throughout the United States with some 300 members
The Carmelites of the PCM Province have been serving the people of Canada since 1875.
The PCM Province is expanding greatly in Mexico and, recently, in El Salvador.
The PCM Province is expanding greatly in Mexico and, recently, in El Salvador.
Once a handful of missions, now rapidly growing in the Order.