Order of Carmelites
Order of Carmelites
Province of the Most Pure Heart of Mary
Legally incorporated as 'Society of Mount Carmel'
Provincial Office
1317 Frontage Road
Darien, IL 60561
Phone: 630.971.0050
PCM in CANADA

The Carmelites of the Most Pure Heart of Mary Province have been serving the Church in Ontario, Canada, since 1875. Currently the province administers two parishes, the historic Shrine of Our Lady of Peace and St. Patrick Church in Niagara Falls. The Monastery of Mount Carmel which contains the Carmelite Spiritual Centre, the Society of the Little Flower (promoting the spirituality of St. Therese of Lisieux), a religious gift store, and, beginning in June 2017, the Monastery Wine Cellars.

The Shrine of Our Lady of Peace stands above the mighty Niagara River on the traditional site where Fr. Hennepin celebrated Mass on December 11, 1678. Fr. Edward Gordon founded the Catholic parish, the second on the Niagara peninsula, as St. Edward’s church in 1837. In 1861, “the little church above the falls,” as it was affectionately called, was elevated to the dignity of a pilgrimage shrine dedicated to Our Lady of Peace.

In 1893 ground was broken near the parish and rectory for a hospice — a place where people could come to rest and clergy could come to spend their retirement. In 1926 this hospice building was expanded to provide more space for Carmelite students at various levels of formation. A magnificent chapel was added at the center of the building. A disastrous fire in November 1967 destroyed most of the original hospice building. The fire forced the transfer of the college level formation program to be moved to Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. In 1979 all of the formation programs were moved out of the Monastery and the foundation was returned to its original purpose — as a centre for spiritual renewal.

In October 1875 the Carmelites arrived in Falls View and took over administration of Our Lady of Peace Parish, residing in the rectory-monastery on the escarpment overlooking the Canadian falls. This residence was expanded eventually to house the expanding Carmelite community which included students. Once the new hospice building was built and expanded, this building was abandoned and eventually torn down to accommodate the widening of Portage Road.

St. Patrick Church is located in the downtown area of Niagara Falls and served the wider Niagara community. It was constructed in 1895 at the cost of $24,000. The most prominent feature of its Gothic styling is the high, octagonal spire and large rose window on the east gable end (a gift from the Archbishop of Toronto).
Order of Carmelites





Order of Carmelites
|
|
|
|
At its centenary, the Province had spread throughout the United States with some 300 members
The Carmelites of the PCM Province have been serving the people of Canada since 1875.
The PCM Province is expanding greatly in Mexico and, recently, in El Salvador.
The PCM Province is expanding greatly in Mexico and, recently, in El Salvador.
Once a handful of missions, now rapidly growing in the Order.