Order of Carmelites
Order of Carmelites
Province of the Most Pure Heart of Mary
Provincial Office
1317 Frontage Road
Darien, IL 60561
Phone: 630.971.0050
PCM in PERU

Following a call by the Church to assist in the evangelization of Latin America, the Carmelites arrived in Peru in 1949. Our presence began with Nuestra Señora del Carmen parish in a new neighborhood called San Antonio in the Miraflores district of Lima. After 25 years, the first native vocations began to arrid

In 1956 a major commitment to the Carmelite mission in Perú with the opening of Colegio Nuestra Señora del Carmen (Carmelitas). It was the result of the parishioners desiring a religious and intellectual formation for their sons and daughters. Beginning with two sections of Kindergarten and First Grade, for boys, with the help of the IHM Sisters. In 1961, under the direction of Carmelite Alban Quinn, construction began on a secondary school which began classes the following year. In 1964 young girls were admitted to Kindergarten making the college coed.

An evening elementary school was instituted under the direction of the Order in 1963 for the children of families without the financial means to attend religious schools. Classes were held in the elementary school building: an afternoon school for girls and night school for men. Administered by Nuestra Señora del Carmen parish, the school grew tremendously in the 1990s. In 2001 a secondary level was added. In 2005 the school transferred to its own building in the Barranco district of Lima where the school is currently located. From 2009-2012 the school was the responsibility of the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary but returned to the Order in 2012. There school employees a highly qualified faculty for 185 primary level students and 160 secondary level students.

The parish college Nuestro Salvador was established in 1967. It originally was located in the Santísimo Salvador in Pachacámac but relocated in 1971 in José Gálvez. In 1989 the Carmelite Order assumed responsibility for the school. The school underwent some changes, including its name which was not accepted by the parents. Finally the name “Nuestro Salvador-Carmelitas” was agreed upon although the “Carmelitas” part was later dropped from the name. The school started with seven classrooms and administrative offices. But the school building was added onto as the number of students grew tremendously for a total of 29 classrooms, bathrooms, a science lab, a computer lab, a large library, and area for pastoral programs. Between 2002 and 2004 a football field and four additional classrooms were added. Additional classrooms have been added in subsequent years. A number of specialize classes are for students with developmental disabilities.

In 1976 the Convento del Senora del Carmen was established in José Galvez. The Carmelites assisted with various ministries in the area eventually taking responsibility of administering Nuestra Senora del Carmen and Sta. Teresita in the town.

In 1998, a private hacienda in Lurín was purchased and rededicated as a retreat house, “Villa Carmelita.” In the early 2000s a new structure was added with additional rooms for retreatants, separate kitchen/dining room, and meeting areas. A neighboring property was purchased and established as the novitiate. A columbarium was also built on this portion of the grounds for the internment of the deceased members of the commissariat.

In 1959 the Carmelites were given responsibility for the care of the entire Diocese of Sicuani, Perú (comprising the provinces of Canchis, Canas, Espinar and Chumbivilcas). Carmelite Nevin Hayes was appointed bishop. The diocese, established in 1959 by St. John XXIII, is around 13,000 feet above sea level and covers an area of 5,960 square miles. Approximately 85.4% of the total population of 274,000 is Catholic. Three Carmelites led the prelature: Nevin Hayes, Albano Quinn Wilson, and Miguel La Fay Bardi. Pope Benedict XVI appointed a non-Carmelite as successor to Bishop La Fay in 2013.
Order of Carmelites





Order of Carmelites
|
|
|
|
At its centenary, the Province had spread throughout the United States with some 300 members
The Carmelites of the PCM Province have been serving the people of Canada since 1875.
The PCM Province is expanding greatly in Mexico and, recently, in El Salvador.
The PCM Province is expanding greatly in Mexico and, recently, in El Salvador.
Once a handful of missions, now rapidly growing in the Order.